Dr. Fritz Eichler (1911-1991) was Braun’s first design director, working at the company from 1955 until 1978. He was first to arrange contact with The Ulm School of Design and was instrumental in establishing Braun design standards.
Born in Niederhorn in Luxembourg, Eichler met Erwin Braun during World War II. Before joining Braun, he was an art historian, set designer and film director. Originally assigned to produce advertising films for Braun, he had developed a film presentation for the company’s launch at the Düsseldorf Electronic Exhibition in 1955. Eichler also chaired the jury for the Braun Prize competition, Germany’s first international design prize, from its beginning in 1968 until 1989.