Begun as a small engineering shop, today Braun is internationally renowned for its small electrical appliances. Engineer Artur Braun (1925-2013) took over the company in 1951 with his older brother Erwin after the sudden death of their father, Max Braun, who first established it in 1921.
The brothers introduced a magazine, a health centre and cafeteria for their employees. While their father was one of the first manufacturers in Europe to combine radios and record players in a single unit, they went on to produce portable radios and music cabinets during the 1950s, when Braun products also began to appear in permanent collections, such as the MoMa in New York. Electric shavers became their biggest segment. In 1967, Braun was acquired by the Gillette Company.